Los Angeles people! For anyone who wants to learn all about podcasting, from someone who’s been at it since 2004, this is your chance.*
Yes, my course “PRODUCE YOUR OWN PODCAST,” originally developed for UCLA Extension, will be offered SOON here in Los Angeles.
The best way to learn anything is with a mentor, someone who is there to instruct, guide and push you through the process. I bring my knowledge of podcasting, marketing, acting & voice over work, psychology, storytelling and stand-up to bear in this 12 week course. No experience required, but by they end of the 12 weeks you will have developed and produced the first episode of your own podcast, and will have the skills and experience to continue to produce and capitalize on that series for years to come.
By the end of this course, students will:
– Develop an audio series to produce and distribute as a podcast
– Connect audio equipment to their computer or digital recording device
– Understand the basics of microphones, pick-up patterns and “phantom power”
– Understand the basics of audio recording software
– Record interviews or monologues into a computer or digital recording device
– Edit and mix audio using single-track and multi-track software.
– Have a basic understanding of audio processing (compression, limiting, normalization)
– Encode their program to MP3 format, customize the ID3 tags and add artwork to the file
– Upload their MP3 to the internet
– Understand the basics of blogging and how it relates to podcasting and RSS Feeds
– Use their blog to post podcasts to the internet for playback in a browser window
– Use their blog to associate podcasts to an RSS Feed
– Add their program to the iTunes Music Store podcast directory
– Promote and monetize their podcast series
And those are just the nuts-and-bolts things students will learn. We’ll also investigate the emotional and psychological aspects of podcasting, we’ll develop how to identify your niche through research and self examination, and we’ll discover your personal style of podcasting and public speaking. This is a course on podcasting, but it is also a voyage of self discovery and empowerment. Seriously. I love podcasting and I think you will to. And if you get anywhere near as much out of it as I have, this course will literally change your life.
If you are interested and have any questions, please let me know!
* If you are interested in this class, but don’t live in the Los Angeles area, don’t despair. The course should be available as an on-line course, by the Summer or Fall 2017 quarter. At least, that’s my goal.
BIO: DAN KLASS is a writer, actor, humorist and world-renowned podcasting pioneer. His award-winning comedy audio-blog “The Bitterest Pill” was called “Intelligent,” “Endearing” and “Sublime” by The New York Times, and contributed to the emergence and popularity of podcasts in the early days of the medium. A “Podcast Pick” by Business Week, The Bitterest Pill was written up in USA Today, The San Jose Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Media Week, Radio Times (UK) and many other publications.
The success of The Bitterest Pill, and Klass’ Old Wave Radio: New 80‘s Music podcast lead to his founding JacketMedia in 2005. As JacketMedia, he has consulted and produced podcasts and new media for Speedo, BWM, Grey Advertising, LA Opera, Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York, and many others.
Dan Klass is the co-author of Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Audio and Video Podcasting (Springer/Friends of ED Press). In it’s second printing, Podcast Solutions is currently used as a text book in journalism and public relations departments at Duke, Villanova and several other schools and universities around the world.
Klass has been a frequent guest speaker and “media expert” on podcasting, having appeared on NBC, The WB and FoxNews and lectured at UCLA, Podcast Academy, and at flagship Apple Stores in Los Angeles and New York City. His advice and expertise is referenced frequently in Podcasting for Dummies, Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies, Tricks of the Podcast Masters, The Business Podcasting Bible and Podcasting Hacks.
Klass is a podcasting and social media instructor, and serves on the Professional Board of Advisors for Indiana University’s American Student Radio. He is a proud member of The Academy of Podcasting.