Los Angeles people! For anyone who wants to learn all about podcasting, from someone who’s been at it since 2004, this is your chance.*
Yes, my course “PODCASTING: PRODUCTION, DISTRIBUTION & MONETIZATION” will be offered THIS SPRING at UCLA Extension. Thursday nights at 7pm (I believe) on the UCLA campus, starting in early April.
The best way to learn anything is with a mentor, someone who is there to instruct, guide and push you through the process. I bring my knowledge of podcasting, marketing, acting & voice over work, psychology, storytelling and stand-up to bear in this 12 week course. No experience required, but by they end of the 12 weeks you will have developed and produced the first episode of your own podcast, and will have the skills and experience to continue to produce and capitalize on that series for years to come.
By the end of this course, students will:
– Develop an audio series to produce and distribute as a podcast
– Connect audio equipment to their computer or digital recording device
– Understand the basics of microphones, pick-up patterns and “phantom power”
– Understand the basics of audio recording software
– Record interviews or monologues into a computer or digital recording device
– Edit and mix audio using single-track and multi-track software.
– Have a basic understanding of audio processing (compression, limiting, normalization)
– Encode their program to MP3 format, customize the ID3 tags and add artwork to the file
– Upload their MP3 to the internet
– Understand the basics of blogging and how it relates to podcasting and RSS Feeds
– Use their blog to post podcasts to the internet for playback in a browser window
– Use their blog to associate podcasts to an RSS Feed
– Add their program to the iTunes Music Store podcast directory
– Promote and monetize their podcast series
And those are just the nuts-and-bolts things students will learn. We’ll also investigate the emotional and psychological aspects of podcasting, we’ll develop how to identify your niche through research and self examination, and we’ll discover your personal style of podcasting and public speaking. This is a course on podcasting, but it is also a voyage of self discovery and empowerment. Seriously. I love podcasting and I think you will to. And if you get anywhere near as much out of it as I have, this course will literally change your life.
If you are interested and have any questions, please let me know! danklass @ yahoo .com (I don’t have my UCLA e-mail yet)
* If you are interested in this class, but don’t live in the Los Angeles area, don’t despair. The course should be available through UCLA, as an on-line course, by the Summer or Fall 2017 quarter. At least, that’s my goal.